At Cortez Dental, a root canal is a procedure that removes the infected or inflamed pulp inside of a tooth to relieve pain and prevent infection. The pulp is often removed because it is the part of the tooth that contains blood vessels, nerves, and connective tissues, and any infection there could spread to the root’s tissue and cause an abscess. An abscess is an infection that can form inside the tissues of the teeth and can spread through the bloodstream to other parts of the body. Symptoms of an abscessed tooth include swelling, a feeling of pressure in the face, and pain upon chewing.
The Root Canal Procedure
During the procedure, our dentist will use a local anesthetic to numb the area surrounding the tooth so that you won’t feel pain during the treatment. Then our dentist will remove the pulp from the inside of the tooth and clean the tooth thoroughly. After the area is disinfected, the dentist will fill and seal the area to protect the tooth against further decay.
After your procedure, we will give you aftercare instructions to reduce inflammation, promote healing, and prevent infection. These would include maintaining good oral hygiene habits, like brushing twice daily and flossing at least once daily. This helps remove plaque and bacteria from the teeth and gums that cause cavities and gum disease. Additionally, you will be instructed to come for routine cleanings and checkups every six months to help catch any developing issues early on before they have the chance to cause more severe damage.
Our practice offers various treatment options for our patients depending on their individual needs and preferences. From annual exams and cleanings to restorative treatments such as fillings, crowns, bridgework, and more, our experienced team is here to help you achieve a vibrant, healthy smile for years to come. To make an appointment with one of our experienced dentists today, give us a call!
The Benefits of Root Canal Treatment
- Saving the natural tooth is essential to avoid the need for a bridge or another restoration in the future.
- Natural teeth support the jawbone by stimulating it through chewing forces, keeping it strong and healthy. Keeping the natural teeth in place maintains the stimulating forces on the jawbone.
- The bone can deteriorate over time when a tooth is extracted or lost. This can lead to a shift in the surrounding teeth and the appearance of premature aging.
- Patients can enjoy eating the foods they love without pain or discomfort after the procedure.
- Patients are sedated during the procedure to ensure optimal comfort.
It is essential to treat an infected tooth as soon as possible to prevent the spread of the infection to other areas of the mouth and body. To learn if the root canal is the right option, contact Cortez Dental at 43 W. Montezuma Ave., Cortez, CO 81321, or call (970) 565-9569 to schedule a consultation.